To try on something (or try something on) is to put an item of clothing on to find out whether it fits you or whether you like it, especially before buying it.
Examples of use:
1. I like these shoes. I think I’ll try them on.
2. I hate trying on new clothes.
3. This shirt is too small: I should have tried it on before I bought it.
4. School starts again next week so you must try on your new school uniform.
5. She’s tried on more than thirty wedding dresses, but she can’t find one she likes.
||try on and tries on|
Can you make a sentence with this phrasal verb?
Have you been shopping and tried on some clothes recently?
Image © Ryan Boren