To puzzle out something (puzzle something out) is to find the solution to a difficult or confusing problem by thinking carefully about it.
Examples of use:
1. We have an accountant to help us puzzle out the new tax laws.
2. I still can’t puzzle out how you managed to spend all your wages in one week.
3. She has puzzled out who sent her that huge bouquet of red roses on her birthday – it was Richard!
4. The police tried to puzzle out the identity of the injured man.
5. It took us a long time to puzzle out the mystery of the missing birthday cake. Our neighbour’s dog stole it!
||puzzle out and puzzles out|
Practise your English and write your own sentence using this phrasal verb
What problem or mystery have you puzzled out?
Image © Bruce Guenter