If a city or other place is cosmopolitan (adjective), people from many different cultures and countries live there.
1. London is a cosmopolitan city.
2. Paris is a very cosmopolitan place to live and work.
3. Because of immigration, many cities across the world are now very cosmopolitan.
If a person is cosmopolitan (adjective), they have travelled a lot and and have experience of many different cultures and countries.
1. When I was at school a girl from South Africa joined our class. We all thought she was very cosmopolitan.
2. She’s genuinely cosmopolitan: she has travelled the world researching languages and culture, and she speaks six different languages.
3. He’s a real cosmopolitan. (noun)
Can you use this word in a sentence?
Do you live in a cosmopolitan city?
Image © Frank Kovalchek