To ask someone in is to invite someone to come into your home, office, or room etc (especially your home).
Examples of use:
1. He asked her in for a cup of coffee.
2. Don’t leave him standing on the doorstep – ask him in!
3. I asked my new neighbours in for a cup of tea.
4. If my neighbour knocks on the door, please don’t ask her in.
5. We asked them in for a drink and they stayed until 2am!
6. We sat in the waiting room for an hour before the doctor asked us in to his office.
|present simple||ask in and asks in|
|-ing form||asking in|
|past simple||asked in|
|past participle||asked in|
Practise your English and write a sentence using this phrasal verb.
Image © Maegan Tintari